Workers' Compensation

All employees are covered by the provisions of the New York State Workers' Compensation Law. Benefits are provided under this law for job-related illnesses or accidents. Benefits are paid in accordance with the New York State Workers' Compensation Law. all job-related illnesses or accidents must be reported by following the guidelines below. The submission of the report does not indicate agreement that an accident or illness has occurred. The University reserves the right to require verification of injury by a physician of its choice.

What you must do if you are injured on the job

Medical Treatment
If medical treatment is needed, the employee should seek medical attention immediately at a location most convenient to them. Please note that any private physician authorized by the Workers' Compensation Board can be used. Some of the treatment options closest to our campuses are listed below:

Morningside/Manhattanville Campus:
Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Emergency Room
1111 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10025
(212) 523-4000

Medical Center:
Workforce Health and Safety
1st floor Harkness Pavilion.
Open Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(212) 305-7590.
Note: You must have a Columbia University ID to be seen.


New York Presbyterian Hospital Emergency Room
630 West 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
(212) 305-2500

Lamont Campus:
Nyack Hospital
160 N Midland Ave
Nyack, NY 10960
(845) 348-2000

When receiving treatment for a workplace injury, the Officer will not need to pay the doctor or hospital and his/her private insurance should not be billed. If any charges are incurred, the Officer should save all receipts and mail them to our insurer for processing.

For claims filed prior to 9/1/18:
Gallagher Bassett Services Inc
One Huntington Quadrangle, Suite 4N01
Melville, NY 11747
Phone: (631) 694-7073
Toll Free: (800) 477-5343

For claims filed after 9/1/18:
PMA Customer Service Center
P.O. Box 5231 Janesville, WI 53547-5231

How to Report the Injury

The Accident Report
Report the injury to your supervisor immediately. Complete a Departmental Accident Report Form for Workers’ Compensation Benefits. You can also get a copy of this form from your supervisor. The form must be completed by you and your supervisor without delay. Be sure to keep a copy of this form for your own records and submit the original to your supervisor or designated departmental administrator. Late reporting may result in a delay in processing your claim.
Note for Managers: Workers' Compensation claims are to be reported by the designated departmental administrator by filing a claim with PMA. To Initiate a New Claim, go to and log in.

Username:  1012962 (PMA account # for CU)

Password: newclaim (all lower case)

Additional information is available on the Guide to submitting a claim (include link) for workers’ compensation with PMA.

Note for Employees: In addition to filling out the necessary forms, you must provide your supervisor with medical documentation (a doctor’s note) to cover your absence and keep him/her properly updated regarding your anticipated return to work date.
Leave Management Office
615 West 131st Street, MC 8703
Studebaker 4th Floor
New York, NY 10027
Telephone: 212-851-0698
Fax: 212-851-7069

Helpful Links

New York State Workers Compensation Board
NYC Sick Leave
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Medical Leave or Absence for Officers
Medical Leave of Absence for Non-Union Support Staff

For information on Medical leave of absence for Support Staff, please review the applicable collective bargaining agreement(s).