Departmental Balance Sheet


2017 Balance Sheet of Unused Vacation and Personal Days

Completing the Balance Sheet Form

Deadline for FY17 Submission: Friday, July 21, 2017

General Information

In order to report the University's vacation and personal day accrual liability on year-end financial statements, departments are required to submit vacation and personal day accrual balance information for all Officers of Administration, Officers of the Libraries, and Support Staff who are entitled to these benefits. For those employees, accrual balances as of 7/1 (including any carry-forward adjustments) and related "Employee Information" should be posted to the Balance Sheet of Unused Vacation and Personal Days.

Employees to be Included

All officers of administration, officers of the libraries, and support staff who earn vacation and personal time must be listed on the form. This includes part-time administrative officers and support staff who are entitled to these benefits. Note that part-time administrative officers may be eligible for vacation, but not personal days.

Information to be Included for Each Employee

In addition to the vacation and personal day balances, the form requires the entry of the following information for each employee: last name, first name, and Employee ID number (NOT Social Security Number). Simply type or copy the information onto the form.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to include the Employee ID for each person, as this will enable us to process your submission accurately.

A list of the employees in your department for whom vacation and personal day accruals must be submitted is available via the HR Data Reports. Staff members from each department who have access to departmental salary information in PeopleSoft (typically PAC Manager Self-Service users) will automatically have access to the required Employee Information through a secure web location. The Enterprise Reporting information can be downloaded in an Excel format and then applied to the Balance Sheet. If you are using Enterprise Reporting information, it is recommended that you copy the data, as an Excel spreadsheet, to your hard drive, and from there, copy the required data onto the Balance Sheet form.

End of June PeopleSoft data is included in the Enterprise Reporting file. Departments should check the Enterprise Reporting file to make sure that all June changes have been captured.

Accessing the Employee Data via Enterprise Reporting

In order to access the Enterprise Reporting Reports for the Employee Information, follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Log in to myColumbia ( using your UNI and password
  2. Go to the HR Manager Resources Tab and click on "HR Manager Reports", select "Documents" tab, and go to "HR" folder.
  3. Click on "Employee Vacation Accrual"

To convert file to Excel:

After you run the report, you can convert the file to Excel and save it to your computer.  In the top menu bar, click on the tab icon with the arrow coming out of the top ("Export") > "Export Document As" > "Excel"

Maximum Accrual Balances to be Posted

Under University policy, the amount of vacation carried over into a new fiscal year cannot exceed the total vacation accrued in the prior fiscal year. For example, if an employee earns 23 days of vacation per year, on July 1st, the amount of vacation carried over from the prior year cannot exceed 23 days. In this case, the accrual amount posted to the balance sheet must be 23 days or less.

Entries for Part-Time Staff

Regular part-time support staff members are entitled to prorated sick leave, vacation, and personal days based on the number of hours they work per week. For the purposes of this form, a "vacation day" or "personal day" is equal to the number of hours in the employee's "average" workday. To calculate this "average" workday, divide the employee's weekly hours worked by five. That is, if an employee works 20 hours per week, the ''average'' workday is 4 hours even if the employee works two 8-hour days and one 4-hour day. If this employee has accrued 23 hours of unused earned vacation, divide 23 hours by 4 hours to arrive at the number of days (5.75 in this example) to place in the Vacation Days column.

Beginning January 1, 2008, regular part-time Officers of Administration* who work 20 or more hours per week accrue vacation at the rate of one day per month, up to a maximum of 10 days per fiscal year. When a part-time officer takes vacation time, the department charges the Officer’s time balance in whole or half-day increments, as appropriate. Given that, as of July 1, the number of unused accrued vacation days should not exceed 10 days for this group.

*Note: Temporary part-time Officers of Administration are not eligible for vacation or personal days. 

Printing the Balance Sheet

To print out an Excel spreadsheet with more than 100 names, first go to “File” menu on the menu bar and open up the “Page Setup” dialogue box.

Choose the "Sheet" tab. In the "Print area" box, the default reads "A1:H125." Change "125" to a number that corresponds to the number of rows in your Excel spreadsheet. (Note: This number must be at least 25 more than the number of names on your list). Click on "OK."

Under the “File” menu, now open the “Print” dialogue box. Click on OK. 

Submission Deadline and Process

Because of the need to calculate and report total accruals for the University in our year-end financial reports, it is very important that the completed Balance Sheet for Unused Vacation and Personal Days be submitted to HR by Friday, July 21, 2017.

CUHR will be utilizing CourseWorks this year to facilitate the collection of data from the schools and departments. All instructions can be found in CourseWorks (see access instructions, below). If you do not have access to this CourseWorks site, but should be submitting vacation/personal day balances for your department, please send an email to with your name, UNI and department number(s) for which you will be submitting time.
Steps to complete and submit the 2017 Balance Sheet of Unused Vacation and Personal Days and Organization Charts:
  1. Log into CourseWorks at, using your UNI and password
  2. Click on “My Projects” from the left hand CourseWorks menu, after you are logged in
  3. Select “Vacation Accrual Year End 2017” from the list of active project sites available to you
  4. All instructions are available under Instructions in the left hand menu of the CourseWorks vacation accrual site.

Contact Information

For questions related to the vacation accrual forms and process, please email

For questions related to the org charts collection, please email