Notice of Acknowledgement of Pay Rate and Payday under Section 195 of New York State Labor Law
The New York State Department of Labor requires that all New York State employers provide written notice to employees about the terms and conditions of employment related to rate of pay, regular pay cycle and, for non-exempt employees, rate of overtime pay. These notices must be provided upon hire or rehire or when there are changes in pay rate and are available here. Employers are required to provide the form in the employee’s primary language. Current available languages are: English (default), Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Creole, Polish and Russian. Departments should contact their HR Client Manager to obtain a form in a language other than English.
The law applies to the following employees:
- All Academic personnel (excluding Student Officers and Postdoctoral Fellows)
- Officers of Administration (both regular and temporary)
- Union and Non-Union Support Staff (both regular and temporary)
When to Provide the NYS 195 Form
- The notice must be provided to all new employees as part of the new hire process, and a signed copy must be included with the new hire paperwork (either attached to the template-based hire or paper PAF).
- Upon change in appointment (e.g., from casual to support staff, from student officer to faculty or officer of research).
- Before a change in pay rate: when the salary changes for any reason (e.g., reappointments, changes in appointment, promotions/upgrades).
- Faculty and officers of research who are reappointed for periods of less than a year must receive a new wage notification for each reappointment.