Eligible Postdoctoral Fellows
- UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus 80 Medical, Vision and Prescription drug Benefits
- Aetna Dental Benefits
- Tuition Exemption Benefits for the American Language Program
Ineligibile Postdoctoral Fellows
- Legal spouse
- Same-sex domestic partner
- Legally dependent children, including adopted children
Who You Can Cover for Medical (including Vision) and Dental
- Yourself only;
- Yourself and your spouse or eligible same-sex domestic partner;
- Yourself and a child or children; or
Making Changes to Dependent Eligibility
There are two ways to add or make a change in dependent eligibility:
- Go to the CU Benefits Enrollment System, and click “Log In: CU Benefits Enrollment System” to make changes to the status of your dependents (through a Qualified Life Status Change); or
- Call the Columbia Benefits Service Center at 212-851-7000 for instructions.
When your dependent is no longer eligible, it is your responsibility to report this change to the Columbia Benefits Service Center within 31 days of the change.
Both Work for the University?
If you and your spouse both work for the University and are eligible for coverage, you must choose your coverage in one of the following ways:
- One spouse makes the choice for the entire family, including eligible dependent children, if any. In this case, the other spouse must select “No Coverage.”
- Each spouse can make his or her own choice. In this case, all eligible dependent children must be covered by one spouse or the other.
Proof of Dependent Eligibility
- To add your dependent at the time you enroll in your own benefits, follow the instructions on the CU Benefits Enrollment System. To make changes due to a Qualified Life Status Change, please refer to the “Making Changes to your Benefits” section above. The system will take you to the “Dependent Required Documentation” chart below. If you need assistance, call the Columbia Benefits Service Center at 212-851-7000.
You can provide your documentation through the following methods:
- Scan and email to email@example.com; or
- Fax to 212-851-7025. This is a secure fax.
If you do not have access to scan documents and send them via email or fax, contact the Columbia Benefits Service Center.
Proof of Dependent Eligibility
|Spouse||Copy of legal marriage certificate|
|Same-Sex Domestic Partner||Any two of the following:|
• Joint lease or mortgage
• Joint ownership of property
• Joint bank account statement
• Designation of the partner as primary beneficiary in your will or designation of the partner as beneficiary for your life insurance or retirement benefits
• Assignment of power of attorney to your partner
|Child||One of the following:|
• Child’s birth certificate
• Hospital record of birth (temporarily accepted for newborns until birth certificate is received)
• Adoption certificate/court order
* If your document is in a foreign language, please submit a copy of the original document, as well as a notarized English translation. The document must be translated by someone other than yourself or your family member.
Qualified Life Status Changes