When you enroll in any Columbia medical plan, you are automatically enrolled in Columbia University’s Prescription Drug Plan. OptumRx administers the Prescription Drug benefits plan for the University.
To find participating pharmacies or enroll in the OptumRx mail-order program, log in to www.myuhc.com and click "Manage Your Prescriptions," then "Go to OptumRx." You may also call 800-232-9357 for assistance.
Using Your Prescription Drug Benefit
- In New York, New Jersey and certain other states, the pharmacy is required by law to substitute a brand name drug with a generic. Your copay will be $10. If the cost of the generic drug is less than $10, you will only pay the cost of the drug.
- If your physician prescribes the brand-name drug instead of the generic, then you will pay the highest copay, $45. Your physician must request the pharmacist “Dispense as Written” to receive the brand-name drug.
- If no generic is available for your prescription, then your drug is a single-source prescription. Your copay will be $25.
(up to 30-day supply)
• $10 generic
• $25 single-source
• $45 multi-source
• $15 generic
• $50 single-source
• $90 multi-source
• If no generic is available, this is a single-source drug.
• If both a generic and brand name prescription are available, this is a multi-source drug.
To find out if a drug is single-source or multi-source, ask your pharmacist or contact OptumRx at 800-232-9357 or www.myuhc.com.
Keep in mind that your prescription may move from “single-source” to “multi-source” during the year due to periodic reviews or if the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves a generic equivalent drug.