In an emergency, call:
United States or Canada: 888-226-4567 and choose Option 1.
All other locations, call collect: 202-331-7635.
Services are only covered if coordinated by Cigna Secure Travel.
If Traveling Six Months or More
- Easy access to comprehensive, quality healthcare around the world
- Around-the-clock support, regardless of your time-zone
- Connection to the right physician or hospital in your area 24/7
When you need assistance, contact Cigna anytime by phone or fax. Collect calls are accepted anytime.
If you believe you are eligible for this medical plan option, please contact the Columbia Benefits Service Center at 212-851-7000 for more information.
If you travel 100 miles or more from home or abroad and need emergency travel assistance, see the Emergency Travel Assistance program below.
If Traveling Six Months or Less
The Cigna International Medical Gap Plan, called “Medical Benefits Abroad (MBA),” provides faculty and staff traveling on international business for six months or less with medical coverage. It is administered in conjunction with International SOS. The program provides full coverage for medically necessary services, without deductibles, coinsurance or copays. The Plan also includes emergency dental coverage up to a $1,000 limit. Preventive and routine care is not covered under this policy. For more information, visit Global Travel.
Emergency Travel Assistance
When you are covered under our Basic Term Life Insurance Plan (from Cigna), you and your eligible dependents are also covered for emergency travel assistance (“Cigna Secure Travel”*) when traveling 100+ miles from home or when traveling in a foreign country for trips up to 180 days. Travel can be either personal or work related. This assistance can be for situations as serious as needing to be evacuated from a foreign country to something as simple as information on visas.
This program can help you with travel emergencies both in the U.S. and internationally. Here is a summary of the range of services Cigna Secure Travel offers:
- Emergency medical evacuation
- 24-hour multi-lingual assistance
- Pre-trip planning services, including foreign travel
- Medical and prescription drug assistance
- Medical referrals
- Locating medical care
- Medical insurance coordination
- Emergency transportation
- Emergency evacuation when adequate medical facilities are not available locally
- Family or friend travel arrangements
- Travel assistance
- Provide assistance with emergency credit card and ticket replacement
- Provide assistance with emergency passport replacement
- Assistance with lost or stolen items
- Repatriation of remains
- Emergency cash—Advance up to $1,500 with confirmation of reimbursement
- Personal security
- Latest information on social or political unrest
- Legal referrals to local attorneys, embassies and consulates
- Weather or health hazards
- Security evacuation services
The University also provides additional emergency assistance resources. If you are traveling to another country for official Columbia purposes, be sure to register in advance of your trip at Global Support.
* J-1 visa holders will be covered for Emergency Travel Assistance through UnitedHealthcare Global.